Friday, February 7, 2014

xbox one power supply pinout

So I brought a new xbox one back from US to Denmark and realized (the hard way, aka smokey) that it is not usable on the 230V outputs.

xbox support has been helpful and I can buy a new 230V through them for 32.9 EUR plus 5.0 EUR shipping.

While I wait for that one I'm looking at how to power the xbox one using a PC (ATX) power supply. A lot of guides exists for the xbox 360 online, but I wasn't able to find the pinout of the xbox one power supply. So I simply took the damaged power supply apart and mapped out the pins:

Type          Color           Rating      Note
GND         Black/Grey      -           GND_5V is grey, but internally connected to GND.
12V           Yellow         17.9 A
5V             Red               1.0 A
PWRON   Blue                 -           Must be used for communication between xbox and PSU.

image_missing-xbox-one-power-supply-pinout
The upper left insert in the image above shows how the colored wires are arranged in the plug from the power supply: GND (black & grey) is on both outer walls of the two cylinders and 12V are on both inside walls. Looking into the plug (not into the xbox one!) the pin inside the LEFT cylinder is PWRON and the PIN inside the right cylinder is 5V (when the plastic "bridge" between the cylinders is flat on top and curved curved underneath).

Follow any xbox 360 ATX power supply guide (like this: http://www.xpgamesaves.com/topic/21589-tutorial-xbox360-power-supply-mod-pc-psu/) but remember to use the PWRON pin to enable communication between the xbox one and the power supply.

Also note that the power supply in use must be able to deliver 17.9A at 12V (yellow wires) and 1A at 5V (red wire).

Happy modding!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

i had the same issue and used the atx 360 setup, works fine on dashboard but crashes on games how did you integrate your blue line?

Anonymous said...

There appears to be some issues with voltage drop due to poor connections and small gauge wire. Make sure your wires are as short as possible and that your connections are solid. One may even need to solder new connections onto the connector itself with larger gauge wire.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any images or information on the Xbox One's power supply pin-out on the motherboard?

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for the same images. Someone please post images soon! Or how can I use a multimeter on the motherboard to find out the pinoUts myself?

Thx!

Anonymous said...

I got mine working thanks for this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cLulea_c0

Raul Huertas said...

Does the PWRON signal must be connected to the green connection in the ATX PSU?

Unknown said...

I never did this modification as I bought a new PSU from Microsoft instead, so I'm unable to provide specific answers. Sorry...

Anna Schafer said...

If your Internet service has been acting up on you for a few weeks, and you've been pestering your ISP with no results, check your equipment, and start with the power supplies.military power professionals

Steffie-Cel said...

Cooler Blog!
Xbox One S

Anonymous said...

HI, I am using an Xbox power supply but it is not the exact same one. However, mine has a grey wire. I just didn't do anything with it . How should I wire it?

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the last part I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck. dell power supply